Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not composed in or using metre.‘an unmetrical poet’
- ‘A simple harmonized melody for singing the unmetrical texts, principally the psalms and the canticles, of Anglican services.’
- ‘The b - verse is unmetrical unless I am is contracted to ‘I'm.’’
- ‘Beyond figuring out why they are unmetrical in a narrowly analytical sense, you may want to read them in the context of the poems, thinking about what effect these lines have within the poems.’
- ‘During this period of the baroque and classical styles, we have to distinguish ornaments that are fully written out in regular notes, those that are indicated by symbols, be they abstract signs or little unmetrical notes, and those that do not appear in the score but are expected to be improvised by the performer.’
- ‘It is just an unmetrical doggerel written in an incorrect language.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.