Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not measured by means of a meter.
- ‘Remember that when the web started, most Internet access was unmetered: you paid a low monthly fee no matter how long you used the service.’
- ‘From 16 December Telefónica UK will no longer supply unmetered and dial-up wholesale narrowband services.’
- ‘BTopenworld is ditching its 24/7 unmetered dial-up service, according to insiders.’
- ‘Christian Aid estimates that an additional $4 billion in unmetered oil export revenue was sold off under the counter to coalition cronies.’
- ‘In the US, Internet service providers initially started charging by the minute, but by about 1997 unmetered service became standard.’
- ‘But even if one allows for the gradual introduction of minimal, or totally unmetered phone charges, one has to question how many more eyeballs are there to be captured.’
- ‘It was these two who won the concessions on wholesale unmetered Net access.’
- ‘These CLECs are offering flat-rate plans with totally unmetered local and long-distance calls, and it is driving the ILECs crazy.’
- ‘Affinity says that as the wholesale costs for unmetered dial-up access fall throughout the year it should give it greater room for improved margins.’
- ‘The boss of a Basingstoke-based ISP has slammed Britain's wholesale unmetered Net access product, FRIACO, as a ‘national disgrace’.’
- ‘I began to be happy that I had an unmetered account with my ISP.’
- ‘Problems first arose in the 1980s but despite continual breakdowns it was favoured by most elderly tenants because it supplied unmetered heat and hot water.’
- ‘Elsewhere, Oftel has still to rule on proposals to impose a 7 per cent cut in BT's wholesale charge for unmetered Internet access.’
- ‘In the US, unmetered access is the norm and a handful of ISPs, including Freeserve and AltaVista, tried to replicate this model in the UK.’
- ‘There is no cost because the council is on an unmetered charge.’
- ‘The second option was to use British Telecoms proprietary unmetered tariff, BT Surftime.’
- ‘And it also wants to see tighter regulation to force Kingston Communications to offer wholesale unmetered Internet products in a bid to introduce competition and choice for punters in Hull.’
- ‘There has also been an adjustment to BT's wholesale unmetered Internet access charges for the period from August 1 2001 until May 31 2002.’
- ‘What's this from Oftel's stunningly interesting document Review of the wholesale unmetered narrowband Internet termination market, consultation - 17 March 2003?’
- ‘Both AOL Flat Rate and Freeserve AnyTime are based on the wholesale unmetered access product, FRIACO, which caps telco costs for ISPs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.