Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not loved.‘Melanie felt lonely and unloved’‘a large and unloved bureaucracy’
uncared-for, unwanted, friendless, unbeloved, uncherished, unvaluedunpopular, disliked, hated, detested, loathedforsaken, rejected, unwelcome, jilted, shunned, spurned, neglected, outcast, abandonedView synonyms
- ‘Can you suggest a practical solution that Martha would accept without making her feel unloved and unwanted?’
- ‘The other night we saw a poor, abandoned, unwanted, unloved creature by the side of the road.’
- ‘Lucy, who lives locally, says even as a young girl she felt alienated from her family - unloved and unwanted.’
- ‘Also feeling rejected and unloved are Blue, upset at not being nominated for any Brit awards this year.’
- ‘You will find the fear of rejection, fear of abandonment, fear of being controlled, fear of being unloved and the desire to love and be loved.’
- ‘The old scenario of unwanted and unloved gifts can be a burden for many - those things can take up valuable space and never be used.’
- ‘Feeling unloved and neglected by her husband during his days as player, she embarks on a love affair with a writer, Max Halliday.’
- ‘Now, however, public libraries are under the cosh; neglected, unloved, misunderstood and abused.’
- ‘I'm starting to develop a new fondness for my poor, unloved, rejected rejects.’
- ‘What kind of policy is this where senior citizens are made to feel unloved and unwanted?’
- ‘Is it not a huge problem in today's society that there are too many children who are unloved and neglected?’
- ‘With a disliked government and an unloved principal opposition, we have the classic conditions for a third-party surge.’
- ‘Just because a baby is aborted, this does not mean it was unloved or unwanted, It just simply wasn't the right time.’
- ‘Great leaders are willing to retire unloved and unpopular as the price for great exertion.’
- ‘This is why I am pro-choice. If there are unwanted pregnancies is it a reason to bring children into the world that may be unwanted and unloved?’
- ‘There is also an issue about child abuse, that unwanted children will be unloved and abused.’
- ‘Though he had never said as much, she knew that part of him feared a return to the old days, when he had been shunted aside; unwanted and unloved.’
- ‘There are some children in the world who are unwanted, or unloved by their parents.’
- ‘Canadian John MacMaster brings out all the agony of an unloved man in love with Jenufa.’
- ‘Now, if this show was unpopular and unloved by the masses, I would buy the argument that people are turned off by the fast-talking.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.