Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Additionally, steam pipes need insulation on the supply side only: The return pipes should be uninsulated in order to promote condensation.’
- ‘I think it's just been too cold at times in the unheated, uninsulated shed, and many of the shoots from the spuds have withered, and other tubers show signs of rot.’
- ‘Since the garage has an uninsulated concrete slab floor, attention needs to be paid to how to make the floor warmer and also more resilient.’
- ‘But as a middle-class kid who now lives in an uninsulated, leaking warehouse that would best be described as a decrepit if romantic squat, I know how quickly once gets used to these things.’
- ‘A substantial amount of heat is lost through an uninsulated slab, resulting in cold, uncomfortable floors.’
- ‘Combine the above factors with the tendency to install uninsulated air conditioning equipment and ducting in Florida attics, and the result is a built-in mechanism for mold growth.’
- ‘Unfortunately, in time the insulation will settle toward the bottom of the wall, leaving uninsulated areas at the top where you need it the most’
- ‘If you are working on an uninsulated exterior wall, we also recommend cutting rigid foam-core insulation to friction-fit in the spaces between the furring strips.’
- ‘Some undersuits come with uninsulated mesh areas at the wrists which, ironically, have a big blood supply near the surface, causing chilling as a side-effect.’
- ‘The problem is that it will only affect new houses - most of New Zealand's housing stock is old, uninsulated and draughty, and if we want to seriously improve our energy efficiency stats then something needs to be done about them.’
- ‘If both the ducts and the basement walls are uninsulated, consider insulating the basement walls and the ducts.’
- ‘An uninsulated foundation can result in a large heat loss from an otherwise tightly sealed, well-insulated house.’
- ‘Although the area of the door is small, an uninsulated attic door will reduce energy savings substantially.’
- ‘And many found that the foam offered incomplete protection, as it failed to fill cavities evenly, resulting in uninsulated regions in walls.’
- ‘The standard coloration for residential electrical wiring is black for hot, white for neutral, and green or uninsulated for ground.’
- ‘Drilling with a right-angle drill and an auger bit is the most common way to run the wire through interior, uninsulated walls.’
- ‘Apologists of orthodoxy wrote at length about the ease of heresy: the uninsulated wires of heaven can burn without the ecclesiastical electricians.’
- ‘An uninsulated attic stairway or the opening from a whole house fan is like an open window, so buy or build removable insulation caps.’
- ‘The human species has not evolved such that it can tolerate sitting in that southwesterly location, behind uninsulated glass, leaning on a heat absorbing table of dark steel and not be grossly uncomfortable.’
- ‘The increase in energy demand associated with an increase in resting metabolic rates would probably have greatly reduced the selective advantage of the latter in uninsulated animals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.