Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not producing excitement or interest.‘an uninspiring game that United scarcely deserved to win’
boring, dull, dreary, drab, unexciting, unstimulatingdry, insipid, colourless, grey, bland, anaemic, watery, tame, flat, lifeless, lacklustre, tedious, vapid, humdrum, run of the mill, unromantic, jejune, dull as ditchwater, as dry as dustView synonyms
- ‘How did a country with such intelligent, inventive and generous constituents end up with such uninspiring politicians?’
- ‘Too many school buildings have been dull, uninspiring and institutional.’
- ‘It was bland and uninspiring - and, we suspected, possibly cooked from frozen rather than being fresh.’
- ‘At the moment the area is gloomy and uninspiring, with grey concrete walls and floor.’
- ‘Or why not just smudge the black and white together to create a faintly uninspiring shade of grey?’
- ‘As expected, tonight looks like an extremely interesting end to a particularly uninspiring campaign.’
- ‘Some may feel that they lack spontaneity and creativity and thus perceive them as boring and uninspiring.’
- ‘The sort of place they envisage Bradford becoming is clearly a far cry from the rather uninspiring face it currently presents to the world.’
- ‘Even their more normal-sized vehicles are uninspiring and dull.’
- ‘It's better to have loved and lost than to be in a lacklustre and uninspiring relationship for the rest of your life.’
- ‘The game then deteriorated into an error-strewn and uninspiring midfield battle.’
- ‘I should probably try on more items in the fitting room, because even my favourite items of clothing can look uninspiring on the hanger.’
- ‘More dull, bland, insipid and uninspiring commercial radio is on its way!’
- ‘The dialogue they pass between them is flat and uninspiring.’
- ‘The first walk has a few small hills, the second walk is largely flat, but on a shabby wintery day was a bit dull and uninspiring.’
- ‘The interior of East Buckley High was just as uninspiring and grey as the exterior, but in the October chill, at least it was halfway warm.’
- ‘During the afternoon and evening I spent much time contemplating the uninspiring square patch of rough grass that is to be our new garden.’
- ‘A lot of people tend to choose their moves based on the course they wish to study or a job they need to take and end up in some very uninspiring places of the UK but not me.’
- ‘The first few songs are bland and uninspiring public space music.’
- ‘Today is Easter Day and what an uninspiring day it is here in a dull Northern English town - and I don't just mean the weather.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.