One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory that changes in the earth's crust during geological history have resulted from the action of continuous and uniform processes.Often contrasted with catastrophism
- ‘In one of his books he reviewed the early nineteenth-century development of catastrophism and uniformitarianism and made this revealing comment.’
- ‘Lyell's uniformitarianism was the ruling dogma of geology for almost 150 years until the late 1970s, when ‘neocatastrophism’ began to emerge, and with it came reinterpretations of the geological record.’
- ‘With this concept, he suggests, those great protagonists of uniformitarianism, Hutton and Lyell, would have agreed.’
- ‘They teach that the rejection of God's Word did not begin with Darwin's theory of biological evolution or even with Hutton and Lyell's geological uniformitarianism.’
- ‘However, in recent decades geologists have been saying that the gradualistic uniformitarianism of Charles Lyell does not match the evidence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.