One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not regarded or represented as better than in reality; true to life.‘he painted unidealized views of country life’
- ‘The play between evocative costumes and unidealized facial features suggests an internal dialogue between public and private, malleable and immutable aspects of identity.’
- ‘These painters outraged the public and the authorities with their focus on the naked body alone, unidealized and free from any of the historical or mythological trappings that had traditionally provided a moral cover for nudity in art.’
- ‘The Realist movement expounded the idea that art should rebel against the traditional historical, mythological and religious subjects in favour of unidealised scenes of modern life.’
- ‘Based on Titian's erotic Venus of Urbino (1583; Florence, Uffizi), Manet's courtesan, attended by her black maid, stares imperiously towards the viewer, challenging in her unidealized nakedness.’
- ‘As a reporter confronting degradation and atrocity, his forthright, unidealized self-presentation is alien to the school of writer-adventurers to which he belongs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.