Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a legislative body) having a single legislative chamber.‘primary legislative authority is exercised through the unicameral Chamber of Deputies’‘the constitutional changes also provided for the legislature to become unicameral’
- ‘The Croatian Parliament, also known as the Sabor, became a unicameral body after its Upper House (Chamber of Counties) was eliminated by constitutional amendment in March 2001.’
- ‘The highest legislative body is a unicameral parliament called the State Great Hural with 76 elected members.’
- ‘Since independence in 1966, Botswana has been a multiparty democracy with elections held every five years to a unicameral legislature, the National Assembly, which has been dominated by the Botswana Democratic Party.’
- ‘The legislative branch is the unicameral National Assembly, which has 121 members elected by popular vote to serve five-year terms.’
- ‘She has since been re-elected to the Seimas (Lithuania's unicameral legislative body) as a member of the Women's Party.’
Mid 19th century: from uni- ‘one’ + Latin camera chamber + -al.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.