One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not given public praise or respect.‘his first-rate performances were largely unhonoured’
little known, unknown, unheard of, undistinguished, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential, inconspicuous, unnoticed, nameless, anonymous, minor, humble, lowly, unrenowned, unsung, unrecognized, inglorious, forgottenView synonyms
- ‘One of the great singing stars of Hindi cinema died unmourned and unhonoured.’
- ‘So, the door goes on revolving as one nominated PM goes out and another comes in, only waiting for his turn to be shown the door, ‘unwept, unhonoured and unsung.’’
- ‘Let us never cease to acknowledge the county's debt to those men - and women - in our schools and clubs who work unknown and unhonoured in the cause of our youth.’
- ‘Cornwallis's job was to prevent the Grande Armée mounting a cross-channel invasion and, in doing so, he ‘achieved a goal as important as Trafalgar’, though unhonoured.’
- ‘Possibly something as non-committal as ‘holding the unhonoured in honour you will plough the land’ might be hazarded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.