Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Mentally unbalanced; deranged.‘the violent acts of unhinged minds’
- ‘Unless he is unhinged, no politician in a modern democracy reveals any indiscreet biases in public.’
- ‘And his wife may be unhinged, but at least she didn't try to bite him to death.’
- ‘She looks kind of crazy, a bit unhinged.’
- ‘Simply put, she does not embody the character; she is too healthy-looking and not sufficiently unhinged to make you really believe her.’
- ‘As Gulliver returns to the land of men, it clearly emerges that he is seriously unhinged and a thoroughly changed character.’
- ‘She parties with friends, and she takes driving lessons with a slightly unhinged instructor.’
- ‘He doesn't even acknowledge that she might have been upset or unhinged enough to kill herself.’
- ‘Born of the Great Depression, the brothers were unhinged maniacs with no roots, no ties, no responsibilities, fighting back on behalf of the disenfranchised little man.’
- ‘Other nations have confronted terrorism of a more sustained nature without coming thoroughly unhinged.’
- ‘Someone who is this unhinged sounds like the type who might turn on his benefactors.’
- ‘We instead reared up on our hind legs like a wounded animal and began thrashing about, enraged and unhinged, stoking bloodlust and fear.’
- ‘The woman also had about 6 or 7 cats - which in my book is always a good sign of someone being unhinged.’
- ‘Not all the opponents are unhinged, of course.’
- ‘Occasionally some unhinged goon will run alongside showering riders with water or giving them a push up the hill but it is mostly high-spirited encouragement.’
- ‘His unhinged language suggested that persecution mania briefly deranged him.’
- ‘You're disoriented and you become unhinged.’
- ‘An unhinged American general single-handedly launches a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union.’
- ‘The war was the result of the immediate, emotional reaction of one unhinged man who had in his grasp several viable options to choose from.’
- ‘But, once he stopped taking his medication, he didn't simply become unhinged or retreat into suicidal illness.’
- ‘I have described the member as having become utterly unhinged on the matter of immigration.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.