Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not helpful.‘several complained that the staff were unhelpful’
awkward, contrary, difficult, unreasonable, uncooperative, unhelpful, obstructive, disobliging, unaccommodating, troublesome, tiresome, annoying, vexatious, obstreperous, disobedient, unmanageable, uncontrollable, recalcitrant, refractory, rebelliousView synonyms
- ‘He has been uncooperative, unhelpful, and particularly rude to teaching staff.’
- ‘Anyone seeking clues as to the identity of these NYC-based electronicists will find their website unhelpful.’
- ‘Don't you hate it when people give you ‘helpful feedback’ of an unhelpful nature?’
- ‘The game's only detectable flaw is occasionally unhelpful camera work.’
- ‘Saying that just because we didn't hit targets we have failed and should be closed down is an immature and unhelpful approach.’
- ‘We do not accept involuntary ejections of speech if they are abusive or plainly unhelpful: it is not what the blog is about.’
- ‘On Saturday, having had enough of our unhelpful mobile phone operator, we decided to go shopping for a pair of new phones.’
- ‘Insiders worried that it could in fact be unhelpful and make it more difficult to create good syllabuses.’
- ‘My own experience with our own legal department is they have actually been quite difficult and unhelpful.’
- ‘Why did some of his answers seem to support the government in its war with the BBC, while others were actively unhelpful?’
- ‘He was having difficulty getting through to anyone and the friends he contacted seemed unconcerned and unhelpful.’
- ‘Of course, this was a slightly unhelpful five years after the event.’
- ‘Faculties also seemed to be unhelpful despite the fact that they have a certain level of autonomy in examination procedure.’
- ‘Removing the unhelpful heat from the debate, which can all too easily become polarised, is a necessary first step.’
- ‘My physiotherapist, GP and other doctors I saw thought this would be unhelpful, so I refused.’
- ‘That some newspapers had already had their say before the match, according to Taylor, was deeply unhelpful.’
- ‘Wishful thinking is generally understandable, even if it's unhelpful.’
- ‘Such a demand is an unhelpful confusion in the free speech debate.’
- ‘They think they'll get into trouble, or become unhelpful and difficult.’
- ‘I have just come off the phone following the most incredibly obstructive and unhelpful call in the history of mankind.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.