One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove a harness from (a horse or other animal).
- ‘On the command of both kings the horses of both chariots were unharnessed.’
- ‘Other camels were spared a finishing bullet by compassionate handlers who unharnessed them into a harsh wilderness, feeling that Allah would provide.’
- ‘She contented herself with unharnessing and caring for the horses.’
- ‘If a farmer ploughing his field encounters a boulder, he unharnesses his oxen from the plough and rips the boulder from the ground and moves it aside.’
- ‘Wordlessly, with Sister Probina's hateful eyes on her, Adriana unharnessed the black saddle-mule, her favorite of the two.’
- ‘We were greeted at the Karelian hamlet of Vuokkiniemi by a small crowd of gangly teenage boys, who stood and stared but stayed their distance, watching these strange people unharness the huskies and mix their warm meal.’
- ‘The dogs have to be unharnessed and staked out far enough so they don't fight one another.’
- ‘If you're headed off into deep, unpacked snow for a backcountry excursion, unharness your pet, for deeper snow requires too much extra effort for pulling.’
- ‘They unharnessed the horses and pulled his curricle away to celebrate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.