One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not grudging.‘he showed her ungrudging courtesy and kindness’
kind, kindly, kind-hearted, warm-hearted, tender-hearted, big-hearted, good-natured, good, gracious, tolerant, benign, compassionate, caring, sympathetic, considerate, thoughtful, well meaning, obliging, accommodating, helpful, decent, neighbourly, public-spirited, charitable, altruistic, humane, humanitarian, philanthropicView synonyms
- ‘Rather, the first generation of Knights equated American manhood directly with Catholic religious faith and, by extension, the ungrudging performance of familial obligations.’
- ‘What he gives is gracious, whereas what we give is dutiful - which is not to deny that it is enjoyable, heartfelt and ungrudging.’
- ‘Katie looked up at the ungrudging, caring eyes staring back at her.’
- ‘Dragila, who has won every honour possible in her event, also earned the ungrudging respect of the six times men's champion, who had previously been dismissive of the fledgling women's event.’
- ‘Certainly, the situation worked perfectly against Wales, the pair instantly striking an ungrudging rapport.’
- ‘Yet in the wake of his greatest disappointment, losing the World Cup final at home in 2003, he delivered a speech to the press full of pride for his own team and honest, ungrudging admiration for the victors.’
- ‘No one will ever again be as knowledgeable about every bird species across all of Canada, nor offer such ungrudging and unselfish assistance.’
- ‘If a man foolishly does me wrong, I will return to him the protection of my ungrudging love; the more evil comes from him, the more good shall go from me.’
- ‘I think we're going to have to go to our allies in an ungrudging way and say, what is it going to take to get you guys in this thing.’
- ‘What these films have in common is a quiet power, a sense of humor, and an ungrudging respect for their teens in the difficult double transition from ‘straight’ children into gay adults.’
- ‘Moreover, if the compassionate person is an ideal, she must be someone whose concern for another is ungrudging and noninstrumental.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.