One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not neat and tidy in appearance.
scruffy, tousled, dishevelled, unkempt, messy, disordered, disarranged, messed up, rumpled, bedraggled, uncombed, straggly, ruffled, tangled, matted, windblown, wildView synonyms
- ‘I've never given much attention to my eyebrows but now that I have cut my hair shorter, my eyebrows seem more apparent and ungroomed.’
- ‘I suppose that in my quest for the unguarded and ungroomed Diana, I was looking for proof of her humanity.’
- ‘She wore no makeup and her neat ungroomed eyebrows joined ever so slightly.’
- ‘The PM's wife feared appearing ungroomed so much thereafter that she felt compelled to fly a top hairdresser with her to overseas appointments.’
- ‘Eschewing the accepted practice of hiring a good PR man to sell the product, they wheeled out an uninformed and ungroomed treasurer as a sacrificial lamb.’
- ‘You know, the kind of guy so ungroomed that he has actually found a way to braid his sideburns.’
- ‘Shaggy locks of dark, ungroomed hair flitted across my line of vision, but I managed to walk in a straight enough path.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.