Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not neat and tidy in appearance.
scruffy, tousled, dishevelled, unkempt, messy, disordered, disarranged, messed up, rumpled, bedraggled, uncombed, ungroomed, straggly, ruffled, tangled, matted, windblown, wildView synonyms
- ‘Eschewing the accepted practice of hiring a good PR man to sell the product, they wheeled out an uninformed and ungroomed treasurer as a sacrificial lamb.’
- ‘You know, the kind of guy so ungroomed that he has actually found a way to braid his sideburns.’
- ‘I've never given much attention to my eyebrows but now that I have cut my hair shorter, my eyebrows seem more apparent and ungroomed.’
- ‘I suppose that in my quest for the unguarded and ungroomed Diana, I was looking for proof of her humanity.’
- ‘She wore no makeup and her neat ungroomed eyebrows joined ever so slightly.’
- ‘The PM's wife feared appearing ungroomed so much thereafter that she felt compelled to fly a top hairdresser with her to overseas appointments.’
- ‘Shaggy locks of dark, ungroomed hair flitted across my line of vision, but I managed to walk in a straight enough path.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.