One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not neat and tidy in appearance.
scruffy, tousled, dishevelled, unkempt, messy, disordered, disarranged, messed up, rumpled, bedraggled, uncombed, straggly, ruffled, tangled, matted, windblown, wildView synonyms
- ‘I suppose that in my quest for the unguarded and ungroomed Diana, I was looking for proof of her humanity.’
- ‘Shaggy locks of dark, ungroomed hair flitted across my line of vision, but I managed to walk in a straight enough path.’
- ‘Eschewing the accepted practice of hiring a good PR man to sell the product, they wheeled out an uninformed and ungroomed treasurer as a sacrificial lamb.’
- ‘She wore no makeup and her neat ungroomed eyebrows joined ever so slightly.’
- ‘I've never given much attention to my eyebrows but now that I have cut my hair shorter, my eyebrows seem more apparent and ungroomed.’
- ‘The PM's wife feared appearing ungroomed so much thereafter that she felt compelled to fly a top hairdresser with her to overseas appointments.’
- ‘You know, the kind of guy so ungroomed that he has actually found a way to braid his sideburns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.