One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Firstly, can you believe that is completely unfunded?’
- 1.1 Not receiving public funds.‘a new education bill remained unfunded’
- ‘Given this bleak fiscal climate, these unfunded and underfunded mandates are irresponsible.’
- ‘There are currently more than $6 billion in unfunded requirements to provide necessary repairs to the eroded infrastructure of these systems on Army posts.’
- ‘On August 22, Connecticut filed a lawsuit against the US claiming that Bush's education law is essentially an unfunded mandate from the federal government.’
- ‘But the economic reality is these are unfunded mandates, and education regulators and school districts will have to find the money to pay for them.’
- ‘It's an unfunded mandate: the federal government is forcing the states to spend their own money to comply with the act.’
- 1.2 (of a debt) repayable on demand rather than having been converted into a more or less permanent debt at fixed interest.‘the unfunded debt’
- ‘In previous reports it was noted that no provision had been made for various unfunded liabilities.’
- ‘Due diligence is the order of the day to assess if such liabilities are unfunded, or under-funded.’
- ‘The present value of Social Security's unfunded liabilities is in the trillions of dollars.’
- ‘Above all, reduce the unfunded potential future liabilities (they are not legal obligations like Treasury bonds) first.’
- ‘What we are talking about is replacing an unfunded debt with funded debt.’
- 1.3 Denoting or relating to a pension scheme without a pension fund, the current beneficiaries being paid by a former employer from revenue or contributions by present employees.
- ‘Although the airline industry's hefty $32 billion in unfunded pensions has captured headlines in recent months, the problem extends much further.’
- ‘All of that is trivial, compared to the yawning black hole of unfunded pension liabilities.’
- ‘To be sure, few European companies are as burdened by unfunded pension liabilities as some U.S. companies, particularly in old-line industries.’
- ‘Their unfunded pension liabilities were probably more than $16 billion at year-end and retiree healthcare costs are more than three times that level.’
- ‘General Motors now has 2.5 retirees on its pension rolls for every active worker and an unfunded pension debt of $19.2 billion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.