One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Firstly, can you believe that is completely unfunded?’
- 1.1 Not receiving public funds.‘a new education bill remained unfunded’
- ‘It's an unfunded mandate: the federal government is forcing the states to spend their own money to comply with the act.’
- ‘There are currently more than $6 billion in unfunded requirements to provide necessary repairs to the eroded infrastructure of these systems on Army posts.’
- ‘But the economic reality is these are unfunded mandates, and education regulators and school districts will have to find the money to pay for them.’
- ‘Given this bleak fiscal climate, these unfunded and underfunded mandates are irresponsible.’
- ‘On August 22, Connecticut filed a lawsuit against the US claiming that Bush's education law is essentially an unfunded mandate from the federal government.’
- 1.2 (of a debt) repayable on demand rather than having been converted into a more or less permanent debt at fixed interest.‘the unfunded debt’
- ‘Above all, reduce the unfunded potential future liabilities (they are not legal obligations like Treasury bonds) first.’
- ‘Due diligence is the order of the day to assess if such liabilities are unfunded, or under-funded.’
- ‘What we are talking about is replacing an unfunded debt with funded debt.’
- ‘The present value of Social Security's unfunded liabilities is in the trillions of dollars.’
- ‘In previous reports it was noted that no provision had been made for various unfunded liabilities.’
- 1.3 Denoting or relating to a pension scheme without a pension fund, the current beneficiaries being paid by a former employer from revenue or contributions by present employees.
- ‘To be sure, few European companies are as burdened by unfunded pension liabilities as some U.S. companies, particularly in old-line industries.’
- ‘General Motors now has 2.5 retirees on its pension rolls for every active worker and an unfunded pension debt of $19.2 billion.’
- ‘Although the airline industry's hefty $32 billion in unfunded pensions has captured headlines in recent months, the problem extends much further.’
- ‘Their unfunded pension liabilities were probably more than $16 billion at year-end and retiree healthcare costs are more than three times that level.’
- ‘All of that is trivial, compared to the yawning black hole of unfunded pension liabilities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.