Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a picture) not having a frame.‘a huge, unframed abstract hung on one wall’‘the thick lenses of his unframed spectacles’
- ‘In 1986, Heide and Gilman priced an autographed, unframed photograph of Bogart at $85.’
- ‘There was also an unframed photo that seemed to be somewhat faded stuck inside one of the edges of the vanity.’
- ‘Iti's paintings are generally unframed; several are rendered on irregular offcuts of canvas or black builders' paper.’
- ‘It presented mostly acrylic, easel-size canvases and a supplementary scattering of unframed works on paper, all dating from 2000.’
- ‘A third gallery included 24 of these unframed black-and-white photographic stills, 11 by 17 inches each, mounted on white metal brackets.’
- ‘Most of the works are auctioned unframed, and the firm suggests appropriate frames to the purchasers.’
- ‘Some are framed, some unframed and there are works in watercolour, oil and pastel.’
- ‘The unframed hanging, with its front and back illumination, imparts softness to the work.’
- ‘Sometimes framed and unframed photos are displayed amongst sports trophies on mantelpieces, in cabinets, on bookshelves and on the tops of televisions and fridges.’
- ‘His use of vast unframed canvasses to capture the vibrancy of the African veld, is said to be ‘extremely powerful’.’
- ‘Pieces are available unframed or can be framed on-site by the gallery's framing staff, and framing services are also available.’
- ‘They may be framed or unframed, full-page, half-page or smaller, independent of the text, set above or within it.’
- ‘Galleries wouldn't dream of hanging an unframed oil painting on the wall, so why place a sculpture on the corner of a desk or a store fixture and expect it to sell?’
- ‘He'll be allowed to bring only a few items, including five unframed photographs and a paperback book.’
- ‘This merchandise includes not only framed and unframed prints and posters of Warhol's most famous works, but also Warhol-inspired housewares, home decor, fashion accessories and much more.’
- ‘In addition to framed and desktop prints, we offer unframed versions of their prints.’
- ‘With the clock ticking towards his execution, McVeigh will be allowed to see no one except his lawyers and will only be allowed a small book and five unframed photographs in his cell.’
- ‘An original painting by Kinkade, ‘Rock of Salvation’ is now available in framed and unframed paper prints and in canvas transfers.’
- ‘He also looks for more of the ‘brick-and-mortar’ stores to team up with Internet sites, giving customers a choice on where to purchase framed and unframed affordable art.’
- ‘He said the painting was an unframed watercolour on paper, and that these kind of fragile paintings were kept in boxes, as a matter of course, by galleries and museums.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.