Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Without a definite form or shape.‘she packed the unformed butter into the mould’
vague, indefinite, unspecific, unclear, obscure, nebulous, indistinct, some kind ofView synonyms
- ‘Symptoms of yang deficiency include feeling cold, feeling fatigued and having unformed stools.’
- ‘Scans showed she was tiny and that her left hand was unformed.’
- ‘The facade looks promising, but the interior is strangely unformed.’
- ‘Because infants and toddlers normally can have three or more loose stools, an alternate definition of diarrhea in this age group is a twofold increase in the frequency of unformed stool.’
- ‘In the image the distance remains vague and unformed, in contrast to the foreground where a new town has sprung into existence, impelled into life by the railroad.’
- ‘A breastfed baby's stools should be frequent, greenish, inoffensively fragrant, loose, and unformed.’
- ‘An egg contains water within its beautiful smooth surface; and an unformed mass, by the incubation of the parent, becomes a regular animal, furnished with bones and sinews, and covered with feathers.’
- 1.1Not having developed or been developed fully.‘he had an ambitious, albeit unformed, idea for a novel’‘unformed youths’
rudimentary, undeveloped, unformed, immature, incomplete, incipient, inchoate, just beginningView synonyms
- ‘It is one of those places that you should go to, simply because it will get better with patronage - it has potential, although it's still unformed.’
- ‘The album is structured as one song split over two sides, a 40 minute conglomeration of what sounds like a dozen smaller, unformed ideas.’
- ‘The former spy has little experience at the senior government level and his policy ideas remain largely unformed, or least unstated.’
- ‘While his energy is to be lauded, Avila's presentation consisted solely of a seemingly endless rambling account of unformed tales, hastily thrown together with little connection.’
- ‘‘I had a lot of unformed jokes in my head, and the more confident I got, the more I had the ability to just tie them all in,’ says Clarke.’
- ‘But then maybe I only think that because I believe they'd be benign and unformed stirrings, augmenting my life and not upheaving it.’
- ‘Plans for this time at home are mostly unformed.’
- ‘This understanding is as yet embryonic, unformed, nowhere near as solidly defined as citizenship was in the very recent past.’
- ‘It seems mean to point it out, to pick apart ideas so embryonic and unformed.’
- ‘Embryology then unfolds as the realization of an initially unformed but completely self-contained potential.’
- ‘I often feel like many aspects of my personality remain child-like and unformed, while in other areas I feel a wisdom that belies my age - possible naive musings, but questions that puzzle me on occasion.’
- ‘Embryonic, perhaps, and unformed in many ways, but its depths were black like the deepest velvet.’
- ‘Madeleine may appear to be a walking, talking example of Carnaby Street cool, but she's really an unformed youth at heart.’
- ‘Years ago Friedman was on one of the Sunday morning TV news shows, and I always thought there was an air of contrivance about him, something unformed, immature.’
- ‘At whatever cost this information is made available to its potential users, it arrives unformed and unexperienced.’
- ‘Somewhere too, at the very back of his mind, will be the unformed idea that surely - if she does find herself in trouble - Hetty will know some old woman somewhere who will help her get rid of the unwanted thing.’
- ‘He is only a first time filmmaker, after all, and anyone familiar with his history as a video director knows he is unformed and developing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.