Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not showing fear or hesitation in the face of danger or difficulty.‘he has shown unflinching determination throughout the campaign’
resolute, determined, single-minded, dogged, decided, resolved, firm, persistent, persevering, committed, unshrinking, unshakeable, steady, unwavering, unblinking, immoveable, unflagging, unswerving, unfaltering, untiring, undaunted, fearless, courageous, stalwartView synonyms
- ‘Hughes offers no cosy assessment of child or adult, yet is unflinching in his acceptance of their capacity for good and evil.’
- ‘But the steps taken to resuscitate the bank were swift and unflinching.’
- ‘However, David has praised Americans for respecting their sporting heroes and their unflinching patriotism.’
- ‘He placed trust in his deep unflinching faith to carry him through.’
- ‘Hunter is unflinching in her commitment to telling a persuasive story, but she is a romantic too.’
- ‘The gentle nostalgic style of his etchings contrast with his unflinching observation of modern urban and domestic landscapes.’
- ‘But he was unflinching in his reasons for defying party managers.’
- ‘Patel looked Michael square in the eye with unflinching resolve.’
- ‘Show mercy to the obedient, and unflinching resolve and force to the rebellious.’
- ‘It is amazing to see the couple's unflinching courage against all odds.’
- ‘His rationale is unflinching, it is all about standards.’
- ‘Guest's camera captures all of these things with unblinking, unflinching honesty.’
- ‘Eschewing cheap sentimentality, it casts an unflinching, but compassionate eye over the unpredictability of real life.’
- ‘He had once more affirmed its unflinching commitment to truth and justice above all else.’
- ‘The young do not seem to be as determined and unflinching as we were when we were in our teens.’
- ‘Yet, her iron will and unflinching commitment put her on the top.’
- ‘Throughout his writing life, Amis stuck to an unflinching schedule of 500 words each day.’
- ‘Resolution is an intelligent and unflinching confrontation with the murkier side of human nature.’
- ‘Her hair strayed like a dark veil in the night wind as she faced the knights with unflinching courage.’
- ‘He laid out, I think, in very unflinching terms what he saw as challenges facing the church.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.