Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not expected or regarded as likely to happen.‘his death was totally unexpected’‘he seemed to have a knack for saying the unexpected’
unforeseen, unanticipated, unpredicted, not bargained for, unlooked for, unhoped for, out of the blue, without warning, without noticeView synonyms
- ‘The sudden unexpected death of an infant or child is one of the worst events to happen to any family.’
- ‘Current research on the brain should prepare us all for the unexpected and the surprising.’
- ‘It was so unexpected but it placed a smile on my face that is still there as I write this post.’
- ‘Momentarily the peace and tranquility was disturbed by a sudden and unexpected noise.’
- ‘For Margaret has learned to expect the unexpected and no two days at work are ever the same for her.’
- ‘The novel ends by giving this commonplace message an unexpected and successful twist.’
- ‘Still, there is always the promise of next year and another chance to expect the unexpected.’
- ‘He has been ill for some time and his passing in an Ennis hospital was not unexpected.’
- ‘Both his parents and hospital staff were devastated by his sudden and unexpected death.’
- ‘An unexpected visitor made it clear to him that he was still expected to finish what he had started.’
- ‘At the same time the son was startled to discover unexpected and very specific links to the father.’
- ‘It was sudden and unexpected and so I haven't had a lot of time to wrap my head around it.’
- ‘For all the setbacks, there have been unexpected compensations to doing up the garden.’
- ‘This incident was so sudden and so unexpected, and it has taken a long time to comprehend.’
- ‘The eruption was so sudden and completely unexpected that there was little chance to flee.’
- ‘Prepare to expect the unexpected as each episode sets out to spook the brain and tickle the funny bone.’
- ‘In this cycle there will be many unexpected surprises for the native or the nation.’
- ‘Tears streamed quietly down a couple of faces overcome by the power of unexpected emotions.’
- ‘For this reason there will be unexpected effects that will surprise them more than anyone.’
- ‘Tom responds with sudden, unexpected lethal force when the men attempt a hold up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.