One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Income derived from private means rather than from work.
- ‘No one would enjoy the benefits of unearned income from land.’
- ‘As the dividend is unearned income of the recipient, it does not qualify for pension contributions.’
- ‘All my retired clients, or my clients who are dependent upon unearned income, are very concerned because their accounts are their sole source of revenue.’
- ‘From now on you need to approach earned income as you do unearned income.’
- ‘Interest represents the working person's tribute to the power of money, and gives rise to levels of unearned income far in excess of that suggested by its magnitude.’
- ‘In most cases, renting out flats is considered unearned income and is therefore exempt.’
- ‘‘The rental income is treated as unearned income, so tax could be payable by the person who receives the rental income,’ says Alexander.’
- ‘Similarly, imposing a Social Security tax on the unearned income of wealthy investors would suffice.’
- ‘George concedes that it may be possible to identify other elements of unearned income, but he insists that, even if this is so, the increment of land value remains a unique phenomenon.’
- ‘He had much success in this office: in 1907 he introduced a new system of income tax rates which discriminated between earned and unearned income.’
- ‘Withholding can be avoided for students who can be claimed as dependents if unearned income is $250 or less and total income doesn't exceed $4,750.’
- ‘Money from letting is classed as unearned income and, in some cases, people could be taxed at 40 per cent.’
- ‘The order of set off is firstly against earned income (income from a trade, profession or employment), then against unearned income (income from investments and property).’
- ‘We want at least as much of your unearned income as you take of our earned income.’
- ‘Taxing unearned income doesn't create a drag on the economy, because it doesn't discourage work.’
- ‘‘Many still believe that rent is effectively unearned income, but many of our members have large portfolios,’ he said.’
- ‘On top of this, another 30 per cent currently pay income tax from unearned income - on income from pensions and savings.’
- ‘We're just proposing that such unearned income be subjected fairly to taxes, like all other income in our society is.’
- ‘In addition, big medical bills can deplete a family's savings, lowering its unearned income in later years.’
- ‘Perhaps Congress should consider a tax rate for unearned income.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.