One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Income derived from private means rather than from work.
- ‘In most cases, renting out flats is considered unearned income and is therefore exempt.’
- ‘No one would enjoy the benefits of unearned income from land.’
- ‘‘Many still believe that rent is effectively unearned income, but many of our members have large portfolios,’ he said.’
- ‘Interest represents the working person's tribute to the power of money, and gives rise to levels of unearned income far in excess of that suggested by its magnitude.’
- ‘As the dividend is unearned income of the recipient, it does not qualify for pension contributions.’
- ‘Money from letting is classed as unearned income and, in some cases, people could be taxed at 40 per cent.’
- ‘Taxing unearned income doesn't create a drag on the economy, because it doesn't discourage work.’
- ‘‘The rental income is treated as unearned income, so tax could be payable by the person who receives the rental income,’ says Alexander.’
- ‘All my retired clients, or my clients who are dependent upon unearned income, are very concerned because their accounts are their sole source of revenue.’
- ‘From now on you need to approach earned income as you do unearned income.’
- ‘George concedes that it may be possible to identify other elements of unearned income, but he insists that, even if this is so, the increment of land value remains a unique phenomenon.’
- ‘Similarly, imposing a Social Security tax on the unearned income of wealthy investors would suffice.’
- ‘In addition, big medical bills can deplete a family's savings, lowering its unearned income in later years.’
- ‘The order of set off is firstly against earned income (income from a trade, profession or employment), then against unearned income (income from investments and property).’
- ‘On top of this, another 30 per cent currently pay income tax from unearned income - on income from pensions and savings.’
- ‘He had much success in this office: in 1907 he introduced a new system of income tax rates which discriminated between earned and unearned income.’
- ‘Perhaps Congress should consider a tax rate for unearned income.’
- ‘We want at least as much of your unearned income as you take of our earned income.’
- ‘Withholding can be avoided for students who can be claimed as dependents if unearned income is $250 or less and total income doesn't exceed $4,750.’
- ‘We're just proposing that such unearned income be subjected fairly to taxes, like all other income in our society is.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.