Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of fabric) not dyed; of its natural colour.
colourless, unpigmented, undyed, bleached, naturalView synonyms
- ‘In the untreated fabrics, the cotton stayed largely undyed.’
- ‘The most primitive ruanas are made from undyed wool in shades of brown.’
- ‘It was made of a heavy undyed material and fell over her hips.’
- ‘She, Eleanor, now slept by the hearth in the kitchen, and her apparel was the simple undyed cotton dress that the maids were given to wear.’
- ‘John Woolman, an American abolitionist, arrived in London in June 1772 wearing a white hat, undyed clothes and shoes of undyed leather.’
- ‘But Californian pistachios, which are harvested and processed by more sophisticated means, are usually unblemished and left undyed.’
- ‘Over the tunic he wore a scapula, a long tunic with wide, three-quarter length sleeves, usually of a darker undyed wool.’
- ‘A natural, undyed wool cover can be re-waterproofed with lanolin every few weeks, or as needed.’
- ‘Crafted from soft, unmolded, undyed horsehide that faces away from the body, and plush natural sheep's wool that faces against, it provides exceptional all-day comfort.’
- ‘Use undyed dried breadcrumbs - the dyed orange stuff is disgusting.’
- ‘His undyed, canvas colored clothing was torn and stained from playing in the forests and climbing trees.’
- ‘She has beautiful even skin and her hair is short and undyed, flecked pretty silver.’
- ‘I just took an undyed ball and hoped it would pass off for ‘taupe’.’
- ‘The company stocks a half-million undyed pieces ready to fill new or special orders.’
- ‘Pale bales of leather, all undyed, were in shaggy rolls like giant pastry.’
- ‘The sheer curtains of undyed silk combined with dark wooden blinds was a very interesting idea, and I wondered how it would look at my house.’
- ‘In the case of cashmere, you should place a clean undyed towel between the garment and the iron to prevent any heat damage.’
- ‘Brown crumbs were left undyed but sprayed with water and dried to control for processing effects on texture.’
- ‘The fish was pale, natural and undyed, pleasantly moist and not over-salty.’
- ‘Her head was wrapped in undyed linen, and the fine bones of her face spoke together with the fine lines of her limbs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.