Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not disturbed.‘a quiet weekend of undisturbed tranquillity’‘the tombs had lain undisturbed for 2,500 years’
windless, still, tranquil, quiet, serene, peaceful, pacific, undisturbed, restful, balmy, halcyonserene, tranquil, relaxed, unruffled, unperturbed, unflustered, undisturbed, unagitated, unmoved, unbothered, untroubledView synonyms
- ‘The many private ranches that have opened for safaris are a direct response to the demand for undisturbed game viewing.’
- ‘At one point I sat for about five minutes, totally undisturbed in the small 1000 seat theatre.’
- ‘I was glad my host's wife and children were sleeping upstairs, undisturbed.’
- ‘That followed a complaint by the trust but he was never prosecuted and has continued to fish and farm the clams largely undisturbed.’
- ‘Mystery surrounds the death of a fun-loving man whose body could have lain undisturbed for up to six days at his home in Bradford.’
- ‘The raiders were so quiet that even the Luddingtons' family dog was undisturbed by their activities.’
- ‘We need to find out if the whole site is undisturbed and unchanged.’
- ‘It is a particularly good plant for a shady area where it can grow away undisturbed and give a beautiful display of creamy flowers in spring.’
- ‘Make sure your child has a quiet place to work undisturbed by others.’
- ‘Builders are adding a new wing to the already substantial house, creating an office where he can work undisturbed.’
- ‘Cherry blossoms floated by on the breeze and looking up into the sky was like plunging towards an undisturbed pool of tropical water.’
- ‘Officials say undisturbed asbestos in a good condition can be safely managed and contained, and need not be removed.’
- ‘Provided the material is hidden away and undisturbed, it presents no danger whatsoever.’
- ‘However, all animals deserve an undisturbed and safe breeding season.’
- ‘For me, I'd rather leave the fishes to enjoy their lives undisturbed.’
- ‘The moon is a very quiet and undisturbed place compared to the earth.’
- ‘Better still, the indigenous plants could have been left undisturbed and they would have survived the floods.’
- ‘If the bulbs are planted deeply it is possible to leave them undisturbed for two or three years although acid or neutral soil will have to be limed.’
- ‘The untitled volume lay undisturbed for more than 150 years and was found during a clear-out.’
- ‘Until that changes, the island will remain an undisturbed fragment of history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.