Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not disturbed.‘a quiet weekend of undisturbed tranquillity’‘the tombs had lain undisturbed for 2,500 years’
serene, tranquil, relaxed, unruffled, unperturbed, unflustered, unagitated, unmoved, unbothered, untroubledwindless, still, tranquil, quiet, serene, peaceful, pacific, restful, balmy, halcyonView synonyms
- ‘The moon is a very quiet and undisturbed place compared to the earth.’
- ‘The raiders were so quiet that even the Luddingtons' family dog was undisturbed by their activities.’
- ‘The many private ranches that have opened for safaris are a direct response to the demand for undisturbed game viewing.’
- ‘If the bulbs are planted deeply it is possible to leave them undisturbed for two or three years although acid or neutral soil will have to be limed.’
- ‘Cherry blossoms floated by on the breeze and looking up into the sky was like plunging towards an undisturbed pool of tropical water.’
- ‘Better still, the indigenous plants could have been left undisturbed and they would have survived the floods.’
- ‘That followed a complaint by the trust but he was never prosecuted and has continued to fish and farm the clams largely undisturbed.’
- ‘I was glad my host's wife and children were sleeping upstairs, undisturbed.’
- ‘It is a particularly good plant for a shady area where it can grow away undisturbed and give a beautiful display of creamy flowers in spring.’
- ‘Builders are adding a new wing to the already substantial house, creating an office where he can work undisturbed.’
- ‘We need to find out if the whole site is undisturbed and unchanged.’
- ‘However, all animals deserve an undisturbed and safe breeding season.’
- ‘Make sure your child has a quiet place to work undisturbed by others.’
- ‘Mystery surrounds the death of a fun-loving man whose body could have lain undisturbed for up to six days at his home in Bradford.’
- ‘At one point I sat for about five minutes, totally undisturbed in the small 1000 seat theatre.’
- ‘Until that changes, the island will remain an undisturbed fragment of history.’
- ‘The untitled volume lay undisturbed for more than 150 years and was found during a clear-out.’
- ‘Provided the material is hidden away and undisturbed, it presents no danger whatsoever.’
- ‘For me, I'd rather leave the fishes to enjoy their lives undisturbed.’
- ‘Officials say undisturbed asbestos in a good condition can be safely managed and contained, and need not be removed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.