Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not distributed.‘the undistributed trust income’
- ‘In 1936 Coyle saw another cherished cause become law, when Congress imposed a tax on undistributed corporate profits.’
- ‘The basic idea is that you join the club and you get your monthly otherwise undistributed quality DVD.’
- ‘As of yet, the film remains undistributed in the United States, and that's unfortunate.’
- ‘The company acknowledges that it has locked $476 million accumulated profits abroad as undistributed earnings to escape tax in various jurisdictions.’
- ‘The volume of inward investment was drying up and money would have been switched to home-grown firms or else left undistributed.’
- ‘Once or twice a year the names of those who may be owed undistributed funds are recorded in local legal newspapers, or posted on the state web site under unclaimed property.’
- ‘For tax purposes, the value of undistributed profit would be added to the price you paid for the stock and leave you with a smaller taxable gain when you sell.’
- ‘So I made a separate list for undistributed films.’
- ‘The last time the agency did an audit of these funds was in 1997, when the department looked at 11 states and found most were underreporting the amounts that were undistributed.’
- ‘Smith called it the best undistributed film of 2002.’
- ‘The company structure was set up to delay payment of surcharge on undistributed dividends.’
- ‘Unlike Ireland, undistributed rental income of a UK company is not subject to a surcharge.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the undistributed income must be allocated to each partner and reported and tax paid thereon in accordance with each person's particular tax bracket.’
- ‘The same rate would apply to undistributed incomes also.’
- ‘It was self-published and, essentially undistributed, except for the free copies to press people.’
- ‘In its latest accounts, the company had undistributed profits of almost €30,000 for the year ending March 2003.’
- ‘Businesses save in the form of undistributed profits, which go into bank accounts or get invested in securities.’
- ‘Part of the profits will be allocated to reserves, while another part will remain as undistributed profit.’
- ‘This film, even undistributed, could well re-start Adams' acting career.’
- ‘The fund includes an 87 per cent exposure to European equities with a growth achieved by way of a modest annual bonus and the possibility of a final bonus through previously undistributed profits.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.