Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Able to concentrate fully on something; not distracted.‘she was undistracted by the flashing cameras’
- ‘Welland is undistracted in its commitment to helping find and fund innovative solutions to economic regeneration in rural areas.’
- ‘I must have watched the thirteen or so hour-long episodes right through five or six times, with an undiminished pleasure, and undistracted by any sense of discontinuity with the book.’
- ‘I would like to have discovered how happy and undistracted one felt in the car under pounding rain, but, of course, that doesn't happen here any more.’
- ‘For most of us, the development of concentration, of an undistracted quality of mind, takes time.’
- ‘Many airlines of course have reciprocal agreements with others, broadening the chances of a comfortable sit-down or some undistracted work.’
- ‘In Alice Springs, undistracted by the pressures of big city life, it ought to be easier.’
- ‘If she can stay undistracted and focus on her game, Sharapova can dominate the women's game for some time to come.’
- ‘Then it really is better to send people home, and let the swat teams and burn squads ship the thing undistracted.’
- ‘Newhouse has trained himself to function within the din of such noise, undistracted by fan reaction or the ebb and flow of games.’
- ‘Let the sunshine in You're going to be unplugging the phone about ten seconds into this disk, since you'll want to enjoy this completely undistracted.’
- ‘In the midst of crowded environment, his mind is collected and undistracted.’
- ‘But they were very far from being calm, rational or undistracted at the relevant time.’
- ‘Tai chi originally developed from observations of birds, beasts, and insects whose movements, undistracted by thought, are immediate and in harmony with their environment.’
- ‘The mind is not focused on anything, yet totally present - not in a focused way, just very open and undistracted.’
- ‘Like the other two quartets on this album, it demands your undistracted attention.’
- ‘The theory is that directors, actors and designers need to make their own creative contribution undistracted by the playwright's singular point of view.’
- ‘Thoughts are witnessed in a subtle and undistracted manner to reveal their associative nature and at times, their isolated randomness.’
- ‘People usually think that trying to remain undistracted is some kind of deliberate act.’
- ‘The student encounters the powerful and eternally relevant story that changed the worldand does so undistracted by a supporting cast of stuffed animals and cartoon characters.’
- ‘This undistracted listening to the dharma is a practice of the fifth paramita, which is meditation (contemplative stability).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.