One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not dismayed or discouraged by a setback.‘undismayed, my mother sent me to a first-class crammer for two terms’
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unshrinking, unblenching, unabashedView synonyms
- ‘Undismayed, they continued to fire at his position hoping to somehow hit him, even though he was completely covered.’
- ‘By the end, we were reasonably tired and emotional, and were fairly undismayed to find that we'd come last.’
- ‘Quiet by nature, Fellows is fearless at the crease and his adventurous approach helped him to prosper while Vaughan seemed undismayed by all that had previously happened.’
- ‘I know that we shall not fail them; but fortified by the great experience in this war of our strength in unity, go forward with them undismayed into the future.’
- ‘Mr. Saturn met her eyes undismayed, chuckling.’
- ‘Singh's work is capable of negative discovery, and it can have a mordant mood, but it remains undismayed.’
- ‘I can't help being fond of him, he is so resourceful and undismayed, two of the qualities I like best.’
- ‘He remained stonelike, unruffled and undismayed.’
- ‘I will be courageous and undismayed in the face of odds.’
- ‘He was apparently undismayed by his party's expected inability to block the two-thirds majority.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.