Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The hindwing of an insect, especially when it is normally hidden by a forewing.
- ‘At last they find a huge moth with ‘great underwings of glowing crimson.’’
- ‘The butterflies have tiger striped underwings and little black tails on their back wings.’
2The underside of a bird's wing.
- ‘Their bellies and underwings are white, and their heads and breasts are black.’
- ‘The body coloration is typical of gull plumage from above, but both breeding and non-breeding adults have dark underwings with pale wingtips, which are distinctive in flight.’
- ‘A combination of prominent creamy-white eyestripe and rusty-red flanks and underwings makes the redwing unmistakable.’
- ‘White underwing linings and some white at the wrist above are visible when the bird flies.’
- ‘They are mottled brown with cinnamon underwings that are distinctive in flight.’
- ‘And each performance ends in a final swoop and a flicker of white underwings at the moment of alighting.’
- ‘They note that white plumage seen on the bird's back doesn't match the pattern of a pileated woodpecker, nor does the absence of black trailing edges on the underwings of the bird in the video.’
- ‘In flight, they show gray and white underwings, solid gray upperwings, white rumps, and gray tails.’
- ‘The underwings are two-toned: silvery flight feathers with black wing-linings.’
- ‘It is mottled brown overall, with cinnamon underwings.’
- ‘The underwings are white with a band of blue-gray.’
- ‘But if you chance to see a vulture up close, you will notice that this iridescent black bird's underwings are a satiny gray.’
- ‘In flight, the long, wedge-shaped tail and prominent white trailing edge of the wing are evident; the underwing usually appears darker than the upperwing.’
- ‘Dark-morph birds are very dark brown above and below, with lighter underwings.’
- ‘Their underwings are a dusky grayish to brownish-white.’
- ‘However, the hawk is larger and stockier, with clean white underwings and distinctive dark wrists and belly.’
- ‘Many have paler underparts than upperparts and barred underwing and tail feathers, a patterning that may make them less visible to prey.’
- ‘All plumages of Red-tailed Hawks have a darkish band on the leading edges of the inner underwings, known as the ‘patagial’ markings.’
- ‘The white underwings are especially distinctive in flight.’
- ‘The underwing is white with a narrow band of gray.’
3[usually with modifier] A moth with drab forewings and brightly coloured hindwings, typically yellow with a black terminal band.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.