One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing worn under other clothes, typically next to the skin.
- ‘Put a spare set of underwear in hand luggage just in case the case goes AWOL.’
- ‘In only her underwear, she flopped down onto her queen sized bed and yawned.’
- ‘She laid out a light grey tracksuit, underwear and a pair of sports shoes at the foot of his bed.’
- ‘Your clothes are in the wardrobe and your night things and underwear are in the left hand set of drawers.’
- ‘A breeze caught her nightgown and it rose to give Jay a small glance at her pink underwear.’
- ‘The company supplies quality underwear and swimwear in a large range of sizes and styles.’
- ‘If you really want to know, we ate at a food court and shopped for thermal underwear.’
- ‘I've just had three twenty year old blokes in their underwear watching football in my reception.’
- ‘Here there is a firm that does mail order designer and thermal underwear.’
- ‘I strip to my underwear and get under the big fluffy duvet on the massage couch.’
- ‘She sent photos of herself posing in her underwear, a bikini and a glamorous ballgown.’
- ‘Hats, scarves, gloves and thermal underwear all laid out on the bed ready for going to work tomorrow.’
- ‘Cases were dumped on the ground and unpacked as people dug for nightclothes and changes of underwear.’
- ‘I look at my clock, standing in my bra and underwear while ironing my shirt of choice.’
- ‘It almost seemed as if she didn't care whether or not the whole world saw her in her underwear.’
- ‘She ran the towel through her hair vigorously and tugged on her bra and underwear.’
- ‘When I finished my shower I walked into my room and got some underwear on and headed for my bed to do a little reading.’
- ‘She stormed over to her bureau, pulling out clothes, throwing underwear at him.’
- ‘Again, undersuits and thermal underwear have improved dramatically in the past few years.’
- ‘There was a carrier bag to his side which held a change of underwear and a shirt and a pair of jeans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.