One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing worn under other clothes, typically next to the skin.
- ‘Put a spare set of underwear in hand luggage just in case the case goes AWOL.’
- ‘Your clothes are in the wardrobe and your night things and underwear are in the left hand set of drawers.’
- ‘Hats, scarves, gloves and thermal underwear all laid out on the bed ready for going to work tomorrow.’
- ‘Here there is a firm that does mail order designer and thermal underwear.’
- ‘She laid out a light grey tracksuit, underwear and a pair of sports shoes at the foot of his bed.’
- ‘In only her underwear, she flopped down onto her queen sized bed and yawned.’
- ‘Again, undersuits and thermal underwear have improved dramatically in the past few years.’
- ‘A breeze caught her nightgown and it rose to give Jay a small glance at her pink underwear.’
- ‘If you really want to know, we ate at a food court and shopped for thermal underwear.’
- ‘There was a carrier bag to his side which held a change of underwear and a shirt and a pair of jeans.’
- ‘When I finished my shower I walked into my room and got some underwear on and headed for my bed to do a little reading.’
- ‘The company supplies quality underwear and swimwear in a large range of sizes and styles.’
- ‘She stormed over to her bureau, pulling out clothes, throwing underwear at him.’
- ‘She ran the towel through her hair vigorously and tugged on her bra and underwear.’
- ‘I look at my clock, standing in my bra and underwear while ironing my shirt of choice.’
- ‘It almost seemed as if she didn't care whether or not the whole world saw her in her underwear.’
- ‘She sent photos of herself posing in her underwear, a bikini and a glamorous ballgown.’
- ‘Cases were dumped on the ground and unpacked as people dug for nightclothes and changes of underwear.’
- ‘I strip to my underwear and get under the big fluffy duvet on the massage couch.’
- ‘I've just had three twenty year old blokes in their underwear watching football in my reception.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.