Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Describe or represent (something) as being smaller or less good or important than it really is.‘the press have understated the extent of the problem’
play down, downplay, make light of, underrate, rate too low, not do justice to, do an injustice to, underplay, de-emphasize, underemphasize, trivialize, minimize, diminish, downgrade, reduce, lessen, brush aside, gloss over, shrug offView synonyms
- ‘To say this property needs renovation may be understating the case.’
- ‘To say we are disappointed would be understating it.’
- ‘To say he was delighted with it is understating the case.’
- ‘Even so, he's not one for understating his ambitions, once again setting out his goal to create a ‘world-class business’.’
- ‘That bland description understates the drama and stakes of the investigation.’
- ‘To say I'm suffering from a combination of culture shock and stomach churning homesickness would be understating it.’
- ‘Not only is there little sign of a cooling of this demand, but there is also a concern that the trade figures - awful as they are - may even be understating the volume of manufactured imports.’
- ‘I've used these kinds of distancing techniques myself - writers often do when they want to highlight the horror of a situation by understating the actual details.’
- ‘To describe e-mail as an enabling technology greatly understates its influence.’
- ‘Commentators who say that the political landscape changed dramatically in the past year are grossly understating the true state of affairs.’
- ‘If anything that is rather understating the case - I have been overwhelmed by what I have seen and heard.’
- ‘No, that would be grossly understating the hopelessness of his present situation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.