Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In the space below a staircase:‘an understairs storage cupboard’
- ‘This area is lit by recessed lighting and includes an understairs storage space and downstairs toilet with handbasin.’
- ‘Entry is via an enclosed porch to a wide entrance hall with understairs storage and coat closet.’
- ‘The main hallway features understairs storage and leads on the kitchen/breakfast room which is divided by a large counter.’
- ‘A guest toilet and understairs storage cupboard completes the ground floor accommodation.’
- ‘There is also an understairs storage area which originally housed a staircase down to the garden level accommodation.’
- ‘The house has an entrance hall with understairs storage cupboard, sitting room, kitchen, dining room and garage.’
- ‘A custom-designed understairs storage area provides plenty of space and has room to hold two bicycles.’
- ‘An understairs closet off the hallway provides additional storage space.’
- ‘From here there is access to the dining room, which features exposed stone walls and a beamed ceiling, as well as an understairs storage cupboard.’
- ‘The entrance hall has been decorated in blue and yellow and has an understairs storage cupboard and guest toilet.’
- ‘At the back of the hall steps lead down to an open area with a walk-in laundry cupboard and understairs storage.’
- ‘There is understairs storage space available which the current owners are using as a small office.’
- ‘Inside, the reception hall is floored in maple and has an understairs storage cupboard.’
- ‘A porch entrance leads to a wide hall with understairs storage, skylight window and ornate ceiling coving.’
- ‘It has a cream-coloured entrance hallway with understairs storage, polished timber floorboards and ceiling coving.’
- ‘A staircase with understairs storage leads to a bright landing.’
- ‘Steps lead down to the living room, a bright space with another original fireplace, fitted shelving and understairs storage.’
- ‘This has light oak flooring, an attractive archway, understairs storage and a small guest toilet.’
- ‘An attractive wood-panelled staircase with understairs storage leads upstairs to the two bedrooms, both of which are unusually spacious.’
- ‘There is also an inner hallway with understairs storage and coat closet as well as a guest toilet and a small study.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.