Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sow (a later-growing crop) on land already seeded with another crop.‘many spring-sown pastures are established with a cover crop by undersowing the grass on land which is carrying a winter-sown cereal’‘our field experiments used various types of undersowing’‘undersown cereals can be difficult to deal with when the corn is slow to ripen’
- ‘To rebuild topsoil, organic farmers plant green manures, make compost and undersow crops with clover to increase organic matter in soil.’
- ‘For example, in undersowing, shorter grasses and cover plants are grown under taller cereal grains.’
- ‘Green manures can also be used to undersow crops such as corn, reducing weed growth and protecting the soil from erosion.’
- ‘Many farmers also undersowed with annual rye-grasses as a means of boosting winter and early spring feed.’
- ‘Therefore, we studied during three growing seasons the effect of undersowing wheat with living mulches on wheat grain yield.’
- ‘It is safe to undersow with clover and other legumes.’
- ‘I recall one field that I undersowed to sweetclover in 1977, shortly after I started farming organically.’
- ‘For spring sowings it is ideal to undersow a spring cereal.’
- ‘Much of the benefit of undersowing clover is the attractant effect of the flowers on beneficial insects.’
- ‘Green manures may be planted prior to harvest of many late season crops by undersowing.’
- ‘So after that we just undersowed many of our paddocks with chicory.’
- ‘In undersowing, the seed is usually placed on top of the soil surface so as not to damage the already sown crop with a tool.’
- ‘The resulting undersown plant growth must be retained until the cereal crop is harvested.’
- ‘We're beginning to plant fall cover crops on fields that have finished their production for this season, or in areas where we can undersow existing crops.’
- ‘When you undersow, you may prefer a slower-growing plant so that it doesn't compete strongly with the crop it is growing under.’
- ‘Hence, to obtain the maximum impact from undersowing in crop protection, the relative height of the two plant types is crucial to the success of the overall system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.