One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A skirt worn under another; a petticoat.
- ‘Her attire was simply undergarments, and an underskirt, usually attached to the gown just around the waist, to protect the gown from mud and tearing.’
- ‘The women's costumes were long and full-skirted, of gray tulle with tight gray satin bodices, but the underskirts had warm tones of crimson, cherry, flame and wine red.’
- ‘She was clothed in little more than her underskirt and a light corset, the fabric snagged and torn at the seams, and suddenly she felt very self-conscious.’
- ‘A dark blue gown with a white underskirt and gold trim had been decided upon.’
- ‘Her dress was pale blue silk with a slightly tiered skirt and a wide underskirt.’
- ‘Women may have been dressed in long velvet dresses over taffeta underskirts and boned bodices.’
- ‘Along with the dress in the bag was a white mask, shoes that matched the dress perfectly and a large selection of underskirts and a new corset.’
- ‘Traditional native clothing for women includes an apron over a long skirt and many underskirts.’
- ‘An underskirt is sewn into the garment giving it extra fullness.’
- ‘And look, no hoops or anything, the entire shape of the skirt is made by the underskirts.’
- ‘She returned with the correct garment and helped me into my underskirts and other sundry articles of clothing.’
- ‘I asked, fishing for compliments, of course, because what idiot would squeeze herself into a corset and about 10 underskirts only to wait timidly to see if anyone noticed the effort?’
- ‘It was made of ivory silk with a cotton underskirt and a laced overskirt embroidered with delicate pink flowers.’
- ‘The sleeves hung long and pointed, with rich black lining, and there was a black underskirt that showed when I lifted the dress to walk.’
- ‘She tucked the shirt into the frilly underskirt, worn under the wine colored flounced gypsy skirt.’
- ‘The satin underskirt and sleeves are embroidered with pearls and with devices in gold thread which resemble the sun.’
- ‘The underskirt is cut in a circle, with a machine-stitched hem.’
- ‘Luckily the gray dress wasn't made to be worn with any underskirts, so it didn't drag on the ground when I didn't wear any.’
- ‘I can remember wearing a taffeta skirt with sleeveless top and a waspie elastic waist belt, plus a net underskirt, which used to prick your legs with its rough edge.’
- ‘She pulled out her two other pairs of shoes, some underskirts and tops, and other random things like her hair brush and jewelry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.