One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An undergarment worn under a shirt; a vest.
- ‘He had on jeans and a light blue shirt with a white undershirt that made him look scholarly and gorgeous at the same time.’
- ‘He was wearing a pair of baggy jeans and a black dress shirt that was opened to reveal a white undershirt.’
- ‘I mean, undershirts I understand, but I don't think people tuck in tee-shirts when they wear them as shirts…’
- ‘In order to stay cool, Harris recommends that workers wear an undershirt beneath the vest.’
- ‘He was dressed in a light blue flannel shirt over a white undershirt and navy blue jeans.’
- ‘He came back out with a white undershirt, black khakis, and a black tee shirt with a red dragon on it.’
- ‘He pulled on a white undershirt, a blue silk Oxford shirt, a pair of tan slacks and a matching jacket.’
- ‘He'd always wear undershirts under his dress shirts, and cuff links in his French sleeves.’
- ‘His hair was a little damp and he wore jeans and a dark blue shirt with a white undershirt.’
- ‘A skinny bleached-blond woman in her forties wearing jeans and a white undershirt sat on the couch.’
- ‘He wore a spotless business suit; a white undershirt, with a black tie, pants, and jacket.’
- ‘I stripped off my sweater and my two outer shirts, leaving only my undershirt and then bra.’
- ‘I recently got hooked on white short sleeve undershirts and wear them under polos or button down shirts every day.’
- ‘Suddenly it hits me that I'm clad in a white undershirt and plaid pajama bottoms.’
- ‘They started out as simple undershirts for men, but have since become increasingly popular among young hipsters.’
- ‘Megan was in her pajama pants and a tanktop; Charlie dressed in his jeans and his undershirt.’
- ‘The clothes she had given him were baggy except for the white undershirt and the suspenders.’
- ‘Grabbing a shirt out of his case, Kenny looked for an undershirt to wear.’
- ‘Clad only in small cotton under-shorts and a cotton undershirt, she wadded into the water.’
- ‘The older man, dressed in an old polo shirt over an undershirt, glanced blearily at his son.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.