One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An undergarment worn under a shirt; a vest.
- ‘His hair was a little damp and he wore jeans and a dark blue shirt with a white undershirt.’
- ‘He was dressed in a light blue flannel shirt over a white undershirt and navy blue jeans.’
- ‘Suddenly it hits me that I'm clad in a white undershirt and plaid pajama bottoms.’
- ‘He'd always wear undershirts under his dress shirts, and cuff links in his French sleeves.’
- ‘They started out as simple undershirts for men, but have since become increasingly popular among young hipsters.’
- ‘The older man, dressed in an old polo shirt over an undershirt, glanced blearily at his son.’
- ‘The clothes she had given him were baggy except for the white undershirt and the suspenders.’
- ‘Megan was in her pajama pants and a tanktop; Charlie dressed in his jeans and his undershirt.’
- ‘He was wearing a pair of baggy jeans and a black dress shirt that was opened to reveal a white undershirt.’
- ‘Clad only in small cotton under-shorts and a cotton undershirt, she wadded into the water.’
- ‘I stripped off my sweater and my two outer shirts, leaving only my undershirt and then bra.’
- ‘He had on jeans and a light blue shirt with a white undershirt that made him look scholarly and gorgeous at the same time.’
- ‘He wore a spotless business suit; a white undershirt, with a black tie, pants, and jacket.’
- ‘He came back out with a white undershirt, black khakis, and a black tee shirt with a red dragon on it.’
- ‘He pulled on a white undershirt, a blue silk Oxford shirt, a pair of tan slacks and a matching jacket.’
- ‘I mean, undershirts I understand, but I don't think people tuck in tee-shirts when they wear them as shirts…’
- ‘A skinny bleached-blond woman in her forties wearing jeans and a white undershirt sat on the couch.’
- ‘Grabbing a shirt out of his case, Kenny looked for an undershirt to wear.’
- ‘In order to stay cool, Harris recommends that workers wear an undershirt beneath the vest.’
- ‘I recently got hooked on white short sleeve undershirts and wear them under polos or button down shirts every day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.