Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]often as adjective underrated
Underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something):‘a very underrated film’
undervalue, underestimate, set little store by, rate too low, not do justice to, do an injustice to, be wrong about, sell short, play down, understate, minimize, de-emphasize, underemphasize, diminish, downgrade, reduce, lessen, brush aside, gloss over, trivializemisprize, minifyView synonyms
- ‘The man himself clearly feels that he was underrated as a player, especially by the media, and in particular by the press.’
- ‘How could they have so underrated the intelligence of the voters?’
- ‘In the opinion of many, Scott remains one of the most underrated artists of his generation.’
- ‘He was underrated not just by us that day, but also by one of the greatest opening batsmen in history.’
- ‘From traditional roast to casseroled, minced or fried, lamb is a wonderful and all too often underrated meat.’
- ‘And that very fact indicates how underrated a performer he was, even that early in his career.’
- ‘It was my final year of high school and I was a decent if largely underrated runner.’
- ‘Golf is underrated for the demands it makes on the player's balance and athleticism.’
- ‘He isn't a guy who just knows how to win, which is a very underrated trait among quarterbacks.’
- ‘Being open with people and saying what you feel is highly underrated in this country.’
- ‘But they underrated his ability to find allies and play the long game.’
- ‘I always knew that, but I think I probably underrated the importance of other things.’
- ‘It is probably one of the most underrated movies of all time.’
- ‘The admission system is a much underrated feature of the success of the school.’
- ‘This is the thinking man's guide to one of our most underrated cities.’
- ‘The most underrated element in modern cinema is the sound of silence.’
- ‘Perhaps the most underrated aspect of his game is his ability to pass protect and pick up blitzes.’
- ‘Some conservationists felt the report underrated the quality of the threatened environment.’
- ‘Six years on it has become a cult movie, arguably the most original and underrated British film of the past two decades.’
- ‘I still feel this was one of the most underrated albums of the last twenty years.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.