Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something)‘a very underrated film’
undervalue, underestimate, set little store by, rate too low, not do justice to, do an injustice to, be wrong about, sell short, play down, understate, minimize, de-emphasize, underemphasize, diminish, downgrade, reduce, lessen, brush aside, gloss over, trivializemisprize, minifyView synonyms
- ‘He isn't a guy who just knows how to win, which is a very underrated trait among quarterbacks.’
- ‘Golf is underrated for the demands it makes on the player's balance and athleticism.’
- ‘And that very fact indicates how underrated a performer he was, even that early in his career.’
- ‘It is probably one of the most underrated movies of all time.’
- ‘I always knew that, but I think I probably underrated the importance of other things.’
- ‘I still feel this was one of the most underrated albums of the last twenty years.’
- ‘It was my final year of high school and I was a decent if largely underrated runner.’
- ‘The admission system is a much underrated feature of the success of the school.’
- ‘But they underrated his ability to find allies and play the long game.’
- ‘From traditional roast to casseroled, minced or fried, lamb is a wonderful and all too often underrated meat.’
- ‘Some conservationists felt the report underrated the quality of the threatened environment.’
- ‘Six years on it has become a cult movie, arguably the most original and underrated British film of the past two decades.’
- ‘This is the thinking man's guide to one of our most underrated cities.’
- ‘Being open with people and saying what you feel is highly underrated in this country.’
- ‘How could they have so underrated the intelligence of the voters?’
- ‘Perhaps the most underrated aspect of his game is his ability to pass protect and pick up blitzes.’
- ‘The man himself clearly feels that he was underrated as a player, especially by the media, and in particular by the press.’
- ‘In the opinion of many, Scott remains one of the most underrated artists of his generation.’
- ‘The most underrated element in modern cinema is the sound of silence.’
- ‘He was underrated not just by us that day, but also by one of the greatest opening batsmen in history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.