Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Plant or cultivate the ground around (a tall plant) with smaller plants.‘the roses are underplanted with pink and white bulbs’
- ‘Shrub roses underplanted with catmint or lavender will seldom suffer from greenfly infestations.’
- ‘While everyone underplants trees with spring-flowering crocus, you don't see their autumn equivalent too often, possibly because the enormous corms are expensive.’
- ‘In cold climates, you could substitute a trio of birches for the tree aloes and underplant them with blue fescue.’
- ‘Large field maples will give height and density and will be underplanted with sessile oak and small leaf lime trees.’
- ‘Graham tells me he has this one in a bed underplanted with snowdrops - sounds the perfect combination to me.’
- ‘Weeds were abundant and even underplanting with spring bulbs had been a failure.’
- ‘Initially the trees were underplanted with heathers and bedding, but 15 years ago we started growing snowdrops and now the garden has a collection of roughly 120 varieties.’
- ‘I always prefer to grow natives with natives, which is why I would choose to underplant gum trees with just a few clumps of lomandra or dianella.’
- ‘Some ground-covering plants are especially suited to underplanting with taller bulbs such as narcissi.’
- ‘Because clematis prefer a cool root environment, plan to underplant with a groundcover or perennials that have shallow, non-invasive roots.’
- ‘Here, irises and gladiolus are underplanted with Johnny-jump-ups and marigolds.’
- ‘Scillas bring the sky-blue color down to earth under flowering pear trees and forsythias, as hyacinths underplanted with pansies welcome visitors.’
- ‘Try ornamental kale and cabbage, Chinese cabbage, crinkle-leaf parsley, spinach, snapdragon and dianthus underplanted with spring-flowering bulbs.’
- ‘‘Don't underplant them with whitish gravel,’ she says firmly.’
- ‘Incidentally, if you do decide on a witch hazel, underplant it with a carpet of snowdrops the combination is stunning.’
- ‘Because their roots run deep in good soil, cherries are fine trees to underplant with perennials or spring-flowering bulbs.’
- ‘When I visited Windy Hall last week the gardens were looking wonderful, packed full of unusual and interesting trees and shrubs, underplanted with a profusion of herbaceous plants.’
- ‘Huge specimens of eucalyptus, eucryphias, magnolias and rhododendrons are underplanted with unusual shrubs and choice perennials like Trilliums, Arisaema and blue poppies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.