Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A lower part of something.underside, lower side, underneath, undersurface, undercarriage, underpart, belly, underbellyView synonyms
- 1.1The underside of an animal's body, especially when of a specified colour or pattern.‘the neck and underparts are creamy white’
- ‘The Western Scrub-Jay has blue upperparts, a grayish-brown back, and light underparts.’
- ‘They are glossy black except for white markings on their face and underparts, with a tufted tail and slight mane.’
- ‘Their underparts are mostly white, except for barring and striations along the rear of the birds.’
- ‘Adults have brown upperparts and buff-white underparts with a brownish breast band of short streaks.’
- ‘The bright coloration is usually on the birds' underparts or is hidden when their wings are folded.’
- ‘Steller's Jay has rich blue underparts that shade upwards from midnight to pure black, terminating with a jaunty crest.’
- ‘The underparts of males and females are white, and breeding adults have buffy-orange plumage on the head and neck.’
- ‘Buff-gray underparts and a brown rump contrast with streaked wings with two white wing-bars.’
- ‘The bird's upper body and wings are black or dark grey, and its underparts are white.’
- ‘During the breeding season, adult males are easily distinguished from brownish females and juveniles by their glossy black plumages and white wing underparts.’
- ‘Crowned pigeons (subfamily Gourinae) are grey with pink or chestnut underparts and a white wing patch.’
- ‘Yellow-billed Cuckoos are slender, long-tailed birds with white underparts and dark upperparts.’
- ‘The non-breeding adult (November to March) has a cap flecked with white and gray, and underparts (except the wing) barred with brown and white.’
- ‘They have black throats and breasts and light gray cheeks and underparts.’
- ‘Killdeers have brown upperparts, white underparts, and orange rumps.’
- ‘Males are mostly red with gray underparts, black wings, and two white wing-bars.’
- ‘Females are buff-brown with streaked backs and plain buff underparts.’
- ‘Many have paler underparts than upperparts and barred underwing and tail feathers, a patterning that may make them less visible to prey.’
- ‘It flew like an accipiter, and as it went over I saw its gray head and reddish underparts.’
- ‘As well as the characteristic white ring around the eye, they usually have green plumage with white, yellow or greyish underparts.’
- 1.1The underside of an animal's body, especially when of a specified colour or pattern.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.