One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An undergarment, especially for men or boys, covering the lower part of the body and having two holes for the legs.
- ‘He had a shirt on and underpants and I kept telling him not to go back into the house, but he wanted some trousers to wear.’
- ‘Now, surely I'm not the only one who cuts up his old underpants to make dusters, am I?’
- ‘Beside the shorts and shirt they wore, all they had was a pair of slacks, a sweater, a change of socks and underpants.’
- ‘I'm even going to stop wearing pyjamas and sleep in my underpants!’
- ‘It is 2pm and I am sat in my parent's living room, wearing my underpants and one sock, talking to one of the cats.’
- ‘Meanwhile, there's the small matter of underwear - how does one find a pair of underpants to fit?’
- ‘They should have known better than to mess with a man who wears his underpants over his trousers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.