One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person lower in status or rank.‘she was shouting orders at underlings between gulps of coffee’
subordinate, inferior, deputy, junior, assistant, adjutant, aide, minion, lackey, flunkey, menial, retainer, vassal, subject, serf, hireling, servant, henchman, myrmidon, right-hand man, right-hand woman, girl friday, man friday, factotum, stoogeView synonyms
- ‘So I've got twice the number of underlings to ruthlessly torment now.’
- ‘Phillip ordered his underlings, repeating the orders from his superiors.’
- ‘He was berating one of his underlings for all the world to hear.’
- ‘He is a mere underling, and underlings should not interfere with her plans.’
- ‘He lowered the papers and looked across at his two underlings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.