Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A colour or design applied to pottery before it is glazed.
- ‘Then I use a variety of oxides and underglazes - mixing my own colors - to paint the surface.’
- ‘The clay frames were later bisque-fired and the students applied a gray-green velvet underglaze to them.’
- ‘It can take several layers of thick underglaze to get the effects I want.’
- ‘The camp uses about 2,450 pounds of clay and about thirty-six pints of assorted glazes and underglazes during a season.’
- ‘Explaining her actions for viewers, she applies white slip and colored underglazes for decorations.’
- ‘The pieces were bisque fired and decorated with underglazes then fired again with a gloss glaze, but the project can be adapted to use acrylics.’
- ‘I have worked hard to find the right clays, underglazes and glazes that are compatible.’
- ‘Using underglazes, teenagers draw compositions on plaster slabs, and slip is then poured over the designs.’
- ‘My students used underglazes to paint their pieces.’
- ‘After the outline image is completely dry, students use a selection of underglazes to color in the areas using small, fine brushes.’
- ‘When the tile is finished and the underglazes are thoroughly dry, apply two to three coats of clear glaze.’
- ‘Apply two coats of the desired color of glaze or underglaze with a coat of clear glaze over the top.’
- ‘The editing is based on their knowledge of working with underglazes on clay.’
- ‘After the students had created designs to decorate their dishes, I gave them the ‘green light’ to paint their fish with colorful underglazes.’
- ‘Using underglazes produces a semi-authentic experience, but allows students a greater range of colors.’
- ‘After the underglaze was fired on, the boxes were glazed and fired again.’
- ‘The large vases, jars, and bowls displayed are all richly decorated with delicate and elaborate blue underglazes.’
- ‘I learned to clean greenware and to use ceramic tools; I learned to use underglazes and stains; I learned about firing and some basics about underglazes and glazes.’
- ‘The designs are put on either with an underglaze, a sort of drawing technique, or overglaze, which is more like montage.’
- ‘He works on a plaster slab, drawing with commercial underglazes in reverse.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.