One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a heating system) situated or operating beneath the floor.
- ‘After the joists are in, you can run any underfloor plumbing you need, as well as any ducts or electrical wiring.’
- ‘Quite apart from its aesthetic appeal, strong selling points include the underfloor central heating system that Kevin designed.’
- ‘This has modern wood flooring and the original underfloor central heating, which is believed to have been the first installed in Ireland.’
- ‘Now, two sets of manufacturers have formed partnerships to promote the use of raised floors for underfloor air distribution.’
- ‘Fittings in the family bathrooms include marble wall and floor tiling, underfloor heating and double showers.’
- ‘The interior floor has been removed and re-concreted ready for the underfloor heating and top floor.’
- ‘The ground floor is dominated by the open-plan sitting room, with sandstone flags incorporating a zoned, controlled underfloor heating system.’
- ‘Some new technologies, like underfloor air distribution systems, create a win-win situation for facility executives.’
- ‘But more than just a solution for wiring reconfigurations, underfloor systems offer an option for air distribution.’
- ‘Special features include a centralised vacuum cleaning system, underfloor oil-fired central heating on the ground floor and double glazed windows throughout.’
- ‘The space lends itself to contemporary living with its open-plan sitting and dining areas, while underfloor heating grants the stone floor an ambient warmth.’
- ‘The lights in the oversize wardrobes come on automatically when you walk in and the underfloor heating lines two floors of the house.’
- ‘A number of builders are now using underfloor heating systems in new developments.’
- ‘The bathrooms will be fully tiled and fitted with underfloor heating and high pressure showers, while some will have jacuzzi baths.’
- ‘The main bathroom is also on this floor which has underfloor heating.’
- ‘Matched to underfloor heating, tile floors provide the warm, elegant radiator-free interiors of the executive style homes featured in many interiors magazines.’
- ‘A double hardwood front door opens onto a split-level entrance hall with yellow walls, a pine panelled ceiling and ceramic floor tiling with underfloor heating.’
- ‘In contrast, underfloor systems are installed as part of a raised floor system.’
- ‘She said, ‘there is no central heating, only an underfloor system that doesn't work well.’
- ‘There's an extra layer of underfloor storage beneath the boot floor, and the rear window can be opened separately from the tailgate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.