One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A judgement or rough calculation that is unfavourable or too low.‘there was an underestimation of what it would cost’‘people continually make these huge underestimations about teenagers’mass noun ‘this could lead to underestimation of overall energy expenditure’
- ‘Dependency of the arm below heart level leads to an overestimation of systolic and diastolic pressures and raising the arm above heart level leads to underestimation.’
- ‘The underestimation of intelligence is extraordinary, and it makes you fear for liberty.’
- ‘The management of transport policy over several decades has been spectacularly inept, aside from the understandable underestimation of population numbers.’
- ‘This figure likely represents an underestimation of the true incidence of symptomatic articular cartilage lesions.’
- ‘Recipes like these help one plan a meal better and since the end quantity is indicated, there is no scope for wastage nor underestimation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.