Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dress too plainly or too informally.‘without a pinstripe you'd be underdressed’
- ‘Christina felt unbelievably underdressed in her worn jeans and high school sweatshirt.’
- ‘I had never felt so dressed up and underdressed at the same time.’
- ‘This is a neighborhood where you feel underdressed if you're not wearing a coat and tie to walk the dog.’
- ‘I was wearing a pair of chinos and a (rather stylish) company polo shirt, but I felt quite underdressed as soon as I walked in the door.’
- ‘As it was an ugly day, I didn't wear a sport coat and felt a bit underdressed, even though I had on slacks, an oxford shirt and sweater vest.’
- ‘I felt rather underdressed in my black woolly jumper.’
- ‘We were out of breath, underdressed (no coats either) and famished, with at least two hours to kill before our key-bearing neighbours would be home.’
- ‘He actually felt underdressed in his nice gray suit and unbuttoned black shirt with matching shoes.’
- ‘The man was wearing a suit, which made Josh feel underdressed in his dirty old jeans and jean jacket to match.’
- ‘If you are overdressed, underdressed, have on too much make-up or not enough, it can ruin your whole evening.’
- ‘I felt terribly underdressed, in only a sweater and khaki's; I wished she had told me this was going to be formal dining.’
- ‘In the work environment, it's generally better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed.’
- ‘She felt awkward and underdressed in her black gown, but it was all that she could find and afford.’
- ‘Today, he said, it probably means a lounge suit but, he warned, always be overdressed rather than underdressed.’
- ‘Plus, keep in mind that, as a general rule, you are always better off being slightly overdressed rather than underdressed, whatever the occasion.’
- ‘And remember; when in doubt, it's usually better to be overdressed than underdressed.’
- ‘She felt too underdressed in her jeans and sweatshirt.’
- ‘I hoped I wouldn't look underdressed in my jumper and jeans.’
- ‘Daryl felt a little underdressed in his blue jeans Led Zeppelin T-shirt and jean jacket complete with high tops.’
- ‘However, there is nothing worse than being inappropriately underdressed at a black-tie only affair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.