One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The underside of a road vehicle, ship, or animal's body.
- ‘The body uses more high-strength steel in the underbody areas and shock towers to improve safety while saving weight.’
- ‘A strong set of underbody and sidebody protection elements make it a sturdy vehicle to take off the tarmac.’
- ‘Its underbody is light gray in color, with wings and head in slate blue.’
- ‘We added the underbody rails to meet the truck durability and increase rigidity.’
- ‘To meet the durability requirements, you would have to rework the underbody structure and make changes to accept an independent rear suspension.’
- ‘What's more, the underbody has been engineered so that it is essentially flat.’
- ‘These are not part of our definition of platform which centers on the engine, transmission, suspension. floor and underbody, and fuel tank.’
- ‘A new automated underbody line has been installed specifically for the convertible.’
- ‘Many weeks were then spent under the car in the classic Michelangelo position, cleaning the dirt of several years from the underbody.’
- ‘At first I was a little timid because the car has quite a bit of power, tons of grip with the underbody and the wings.’
- ‘It allows for the incorporation of a shear plate to seal the car's underbody as a hedge against drag.’
- ‘A stay and crossmember were added to the underbody.’
- ‘The basic underbody structure is common, as are the assembly hard points.’
- ‘Other automotive application areas include load floor, underbody shields, battery trays, and door inner panels.’
- ‘He's talking about a place where some 1,300 people are involved in producing body and underbody panels, in transforming some 600 tons of steel into parts and assemblies.’
- ‘The truck's underbody was snowplowing the whole time, and we made it about half-way before the snow accumulated into a solid wall through which we couldn't pass.’
- ‘The final element that contributes to improved handling and grip is the downforce - using the underbody of the vehicle to facilitate airflow and ‘stick’ the car to the tarmac.’
- ‘The rear seats are mounted directly to an underbody crossmember to prevent transmission of excess noise through the rear suspension.’
- ‘The underbody is flat with venturi tunnels, a front air splitter and rear diffusers, and the carbon-fibre rear wing is an option that provides some downforce at high speed.’
- ‘The presses make underbody and underhood components that are used for vehicles throughout GM's lineup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.