One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an orchestra or choir) conducted by.‘the contract also allows for the orchestra to record under the baton of Sir Edward Downes’
- ‘Director Robert Readman has a strong, capable cast among the Rowntree Players, supported by a fine orchestra under the baton of musical director Mike Thompson.’
- ‘The orchestra will be under the baton of esteemed conductors Philip Edmondson and Richard Nicholls.’
- ‘The London Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Sir Andrew Davis, plays works by Dvorák and Sibelius on 12 August.’
- ‘The music lost none of its power as the Queensland Orchestra, under the baton of Tom Woods, brought Francois Klaus's choreography to life.’
- ‘The soloist was the young Greek violist Alexandros Koustas, with the recently formed Blenheim Chamber Orchestra under the baton of their founder Daniel Cohen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.