One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Concealed by.‘the yacht made landfall under cover of darkness’
- ‘And those that are left are either in hiding, or slipped out of the city under cover of darkness.’
- ‘He also saw three or four masked men scurry away from the bank under cover of the smoke.’
- ‘As far as they can tell, they seem to be moving quickly and under cover of night, but they can find proof of little else.’
- ‘The hands of the authorities are strengthened by flights under cover of darkness.’
- ‘Together they moved off, under cover of the leafy green boughs.’
- ‘Eventually we were ordered to withdraw to the river and tried to cross under cover of darkness.’
- ‘She watched it as it quickly reversed direction and scampered back under cover of the trees.’
- ‘Once they were installed, Mann would fly in under cover of darkness with the rest of the men.’
- ‘CNN said the Republican Guard were moving under cover of a sandstorm which has buffeted Iraq for the past day.’
- ‘We left the next morning under cover of fog to take a similar route back.’
- 1.1 While pretending to do.‘Moran watched every move under cover of reading the newspaper’
- ‘You abused them under cover of medical examination.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.