Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Provide with insufficient or inadequate representation.‘women are under-represented at high levels’
- ‘The Government moved after research showed that middle-class professionals were under-represented on juries.’
- ‘They are overwhelmingly relegated to low paying jobs and are grossly under-represented in the Universities.’
- ‘She believes that arts students have currently been under-represented and has promised to make improvements in this area.’
- ‘In IT, women are significantly under-represented, especially at senior levels.’
- ‘In many genres today women are still under-represented as composers and players.’
- ‘The company believes it is under-represented in the capital, with only one of its 30 Scottish stores located in the city, compared with six in Glasgow.’
- ‘He said the party would be concentrating much of its efforts on Dublin and 14 other urban centres where the party was under-represented.’
- ‘Projects may include research to find out which groups are under-represented in the workforce, possibly by helping employers audit their staff.’
- ‘If people are under-represented on campus or in the employment figures, that could be evidence of an underlying social injustice.’
- ‘But he admitted the society was under-represented in some parts of the country.’
- ‘It seriously under-represents the quantity, extent and significance of the archaeological remains and perpetuates misconceptions about the region.’
- ‘The working class is under-represented in membership, and the professional middle class is over-represented.’
- ‘One of the things I am concerned about is that in the Midlands and the North we are massively under-represented.’
- ‘If anything, that period was under-represented in the journal's coverage, not over-represented.’
- ‘They are seriously under-represented in therapeutic trials, resulting in a less adequate evidence base for treatment.’
- ‘Citizens who are not students are in danger of being under-represented in their area if students have access to such direct political representation.’
- ‘Currently people from these communities are under-represented on the blood and bone marrow donor registers.’
- ‘Women continue to be under-represented in the highest-paying employment sectors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.