One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a performance or performer) insufficiently rehearsed.
- ‘It's when the full band enters the picture that the performance takes on a dangerously under-rehearsed quality.’
- ‘The programmes were under-rehearsed and, because the series took to the air with half of the episodes still unwritten, obviously rushed.’
- ‘Once there was paint everywhere and even a little bit on the stools, we ushered the kids inside for an under-rehearsed puppet show performed by my husband and my seven-year-old daughter.’
- ‘Despite some excellent performances, the supporting cast's efforts are uneven and the show appears slightly under-rehearsed.’
- ‘Our performers, to be honest, were a little rough and under-rehearsed.’
- ‘Although the first performance was an under-rehearsed disaster, the work became a great success with the new music scene.’
- ‘It is under-rehearsed and the performers are nervous.’
- ‘However, the lack of tightness in some entrances and exits give the show the appearance being under-rehearsed.’
- ‘They seemed under-rehearsed but, possibly, this will have been rectified during the course of the week.’
- ‘Performances lack focus and the cast are conspicuously under-rehearsed.’
- ‘To make matters worse, he was cringingly under-rehearsed on opening night, stopping the performance on at least seven counts to consult his script.’
- ‘The stage was empty again, and he tried to steel his nerves against what was surely to be another dull or under-rehearsed act.’
- ‘Writing fees are paltry and scripts are poorly researched, hastily developed and under-rehearsed.’
- ‘Perhaps this piece was under-rehearsed, which seemed to show in the performance.’
- ‘The band started off sounding ragged and under-rehearsed, but got into their stride within a few numbers.’
- ‘The performances sounded under-rehearsed and poorly recorded.’
- ‘Alongside this good acting, there's some less impressive work from the supporting actors, some of whom appear under-rehearsed.’
- ‘They actually had some decent performers, although they were clearly under-rehearsed.’
- ‘In fact, the whole show feels under-rehearsed.’
- ‘Unfortunately, he gets no help from the rest of the cast, who are noticeably under-rehearsed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.