Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a surface) not marked with a dent:‘this is an area of consumer spending undented by the high interest rate strategy’
- ‘His box-office appeal at the Philharmonie is undented.’
- ‘However Wright insists confidence remains undented and no prolonged re-grouping is required.’
- ‘Our confidence undented by the occasional funny look we attract from people who consider it strange to see two middle-aged men walking round town carrying crazy golf putters.’
- ‘He resigned in 1983 despite his undented domestic popularity.’
- ‘That it remains undented after the company's own sequence of Shakespearean tragedy is a triumph.’
- ‘Target steel should be of a quality and thickness that will remain flat and undented by bullet strikes with recommended loads.’
- ‘A big new, incredibly clean, shiny and undented land rover.’
- ‘Four years on, Steve's enthusiasm and dedication to his cause remains undented and the charity is currently raising funds to build a dedicated hospice for children with HIV.’
- ‘Hedman's mind has been more robust than his body, his self-confidence undented by his high-profile mistakes.’
- ‘But while this resulted in a clear advantage over Pembroke, it made no impression on Magdalen, who rowed over with their initial lead undented.’
- ‘Those who have recently observed him at close quarters can report that he is now in a very pronounced upswing which the loss of one safe Labour seat at a by-election and a narrow squeak in another has left entirely undented.’
- ‘Despite this acrimony, however, the American officers' admiration for Continental forestry was undented.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.