Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unable to be denied or disputed:‘it is an undeniable fact that some dogs are easier to train than others’
indisputable, indubitable, unquestionable, beyond doubt, beyond question, beyond a shadow of a doubt, inarguable, undebatable, incontrovertible, incontestable, irrefutable, unassailablecertain, sure, definite, positive, conclusive, watertight, proven, clear, clear-cut, straightforward, plain, as plain as a pikestaff, transparent, obvious, unmistakable, evident, self-evident, manifest, staring one in the face, patent, marked, pronounced, express, emphatic, categorical, unequivocal, compellingirrefragable, apodicticView synonyms
- ‘It is undeniable that we all would like to see the value of our investments rise.’
- ‘It is undeniable that they cannot be easily summarized or reduced to one-liners.’
- ‘However, it is also undeniable that the small shopkeepers of Swindon are a vital part of the the town.’
- ‘It is undeniable that these are all big companies in the field of high technology.’
- ‘It seemed undeniable that he would one day be recognised as the greatest ever.’
- ‘It is undeniable that the town's bloom committee has made great strides in the beautification of the town.’
- ‘It is undeniable that Christianity has shaped European history.’
- ‘It may take awhile for some of the skate pros to warn up to him, but it's undeniable that the kid rips’
- ‘We immediately saw something in each other that made it undeniable that we were meant to be.’
- ‘It is undeniable that a lot of what is served up in school canteens is neither healthy nor nutritious.’
- ‘That said, it's undeniable that his tool belt - worn slightly off the hip - really suits him.’
- ‘It is undeniable that as the numbers engaged in farming decline, so the character of rural communities will change.’
- ‘It is undeniable that what happened last Thursday is linked to what's happening abroad.’
- ‘Yet it is undeniable that competition for higher education has changed over the past two decades.’
- ‘It's undeniable that the scope of copyright has expanded vastly during the last few decades.’
- ‘It is undeniable that there has been a huge increase in the amount of contact amongst individuals worldwide.’
- ‘It's undeniable that emphasis on the video game business is at an all-time high right now.’
- ‘But it's undeniable that a rather large and rather good change in public behaviour has taken place.’
- ‘It is undeniable that some people will find that the income from their principal source of employment will be inadequate.’
- ‘It is also undeniable that some companies might overpay for their acquisitions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.