Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not cooked; raw.‘a lump of uncooked dough’‘frozen ready meals may be completely uncooked’
uncooked, freshView synonyms
- ‘I end up eating way too much of the uncooked dough and I get a stomach ache every year.’
- ‘Quality and style are particularly important when the wine is uncooked or one of only a few, fairly delicate ingredients.’
- ‘But Ewen is worried that genes in uncooked GM fruit and vegetables could survive common stomach infections.’
- ‘Good common sense when handling uncooked and cooked food is required to prevent food poisoning.’
- ‘This recipe makes play dough that is not grainy like uncooked play dough and keeps for a long time.’
- ‘The nose is soft and warm with touches of mushroom and uncooked dough.’
- ‘But then the server rushed back to tell me he'd been wrong and that it was designed to be hot but he could do it with regular uncooked smoked salmon for me.’
- ‘The organism thrives in the soil, and is transmitted to humans via uncooked or poorly cooked meat and through house cats.’
- ‘Cooked and uncooked foods should be kept clearly apart.’
- ‘Care must be taken with uncooked foods, including salads and fruit and vegetables (unless they are peeled by you).’
- ‘Berries should be cooked, as the consumption of uncooked berries or juice can result in vomiting and diarrhea.’
- ‘In Philadelphia style ice cream, the ingredients are often uncooked.’
- ‘Any food that contains uncooked eggs, such as homemade cookie dough, cake batter or eggnog, can pose a hazard.’
- ‘The bacterium is most commonly found in uncooked minced beef.’
- ‘Place 1/2 cup uncooked rice in a small plastic bag (a sandwich bag works fine).’
- ‘An uncooked goose would cost 6 pence - about a day's wages.’
- ‘Use of alcohol in food can be divided very roughly into two categories: cooked or uncooked.’
- ‘For instance did you know that an uncooked marinade should never be reused?’
- ‘The green and white speckled ones are meant to be eaten raw, like radishes, though they taste like uncooked dough to me.’
- ‘The pastry is uncooked and the filling is decidedly insipid.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.