Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not controlled.‘some uncontrolled children rather marred the proceedings’‘in mice, the growth was uncontrolled and resembled cancer’
unrestrained, unconstrained, unrestricted, unchecked, unbridled, uncurbed, unlimited, unfettered, untrammelled, uninhibited, unconfined, unimpeded, unhampered, unbounded, unsuppressed, undisciplined, out of control, out of hand, rampant, wild, runaway, incontinent, immoderate, intemperateView synonyms
- ‘As he turned to go back inside he realised that Dot was standing there watching him and he let out an uncontrolled exclamation.’
- ‘They scoured the dunes and nearby beach with binoculars to detect any sign of uncontrolled activity.’
- ‘I have however often been run into by a pushchair or an uncontrolled child.’
- ‘We recently renewed some of the fencing in the area to protect the sheep after a spate of injuries caused to them by uncontrolled dogs.’
- ‘The human race, without intending it, has undertaken a gigantic uncontrolled experiment on the earth.’
- ‘Quite frankly, our elections have become an uncontrolled shambles.’
- ‘Outbursts of uncontrolled rage and of teenage aggression, it seems, are becoming simply a part of the society we live in.’
- ‘It is what monopoly legislation was meant to be about as uncontrolled domination by one participant in any market is undesirable.’
- ‘Ravel depicted a culture spinning out on control with uncontrolled kinetic energy.’
- ‘At this time I hadn't worked out the reason for my uncontrolled descent and was rather confused.’
- ‘Airspace over the aerodrome is also uncontrolled, says company secretary Chris Hudson.’
- ‘Not long ago this led to a spate of uncontrolled closures, with subpostmasters believing they had no choice but to leave.’
- ‘Loss of p53 control leads to uncontrolled growth and is associated with more aggressive tumours.’
- ‘If uncontrolled, it causes him to bleed into his joints and muscles.’
- ‘The answers almost certainly can be found in our obsession with compliance and the uncontrolled whims of fund managers.’
- ‘This will surely result in the uncontrolled roads becoming more congested by commuter parking.’
- ‘He behaved like a spoiled brat, his power unchecked and uncontrolled.’
- ‘A York man who hit a toddler twice on the face in uncontrolled anger was today starting 12 months in jail.’
- ‘Worsley is no longer as uncontrolled a force as he once was.’
- ‘It is disrupted in many cancers, resulting in uncontrolled cell growth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.